THIS WEEK'S LINK OF THE WEEK:
"Ways to help a friend survive a job search."
Some great things to remember, once we get to the other side.
NOTES FROM MARCH 26th MEETING:
* John Turnberg, a contract recruiter for The Gates Foundation, met with the group and provided over an hour of insightful info on how to maximize our LinkedIn profiles and the network.
- Endorsements are crucial. Get folks that you trust to recommend you, because recruiters and hiring managers are are looking at those.
- John recommends not going back more than 15 years on your resume. High School info is not needed. Keep things current.
- Look to make your profile as complete as possible. (including adding a photo)
- John explained how to find people in the jobs you want in the companies you're targeting, and he provided some ways to tap into the internet to do so. (I'll try them out and will include in a separate note.)
- He highly suggests using Facebook as a means of reaching out to target company people; "you can e-mail anyone, even if you're not connected."
- John has a list of 1,000+ recruiters that he can share with us. If we look to LinkIn to them, it opens a whole door into those who are looking to fill positions and will extend our reach into the LinkedIn network.
* The group welcomed 2 new people:
- Geoff Tucker, marketing communications (WaMu)
- Eric Blanchard, sales
* Contact info for the Creative Circle recruiters that met with us 3/20:
Kirsten Thompson - email@example.com
Sara Westerlund - firstname.lastname@example.org
* Geoff mentioned the next Networking Social which will take place April 14th in Bellevue. DETAILS BELOW, along with his notes about using TWITTER.
* ALL - If you haven't already, please send your roster info to Sue, so we can update. (attached is the most current.)
- 'title' / what you did and what you want to do, expertise (see attached for examples)
- phone numbers
- relevant URLs: LinkedIn, web site, blogs, etc.
- clients/companies you've worked for.
THIS IS TO BUILD A ROSTER AND CAN ALSO BE USED TO SHOW THE EXTENT OF OUR GROUP'S CAPABILITIES.
* Kelly E. to get John's contact info from Ariella and access to his list of 1,000+ LinkedIn contact names.
* Kelly E. to start a blog for the group with notes, links, etc. Will let the group know when it's up and running. (in progress)
* The Smalley meeting will be next Friday, April 3rd at 10am at the SVC. No guest speakers yet, but a handful of us will be meeting afterward at 11 with Centerstage director, Alan Bryce, about his marketing needs.