1st -- MORE JOB NEWS!
- Nicole Morry has landed at ad agency, TMP, as a Client Strategist. Congrats, Nicole.
WELCOME to two new members, who joined us last week:
- Vanessa Gallant, most recently the Marketing Manager with Callison (Seattle's largest architecture firm).
- Daniel Holland, most recently a Brand Planner at Publicis - and recent Silver Lion winner for his work on the Washington's Lottery work, "Birds." If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and watch it.
GREAT DISCUSSION on a variety of topics, including:
- How to stay 'top of mind' when working with recruiters and hiring managers, and waiting out the interview process. Is it better to be 1st in the door, last in? How to remind them how great you are.
- One thing that came up is using LinkedIn to connect with hiring managers that hired "another candidate." If there was a rapport, but just not the right fit, they could be an excellent source for other openings in the market. All of us agreed, though, that it's better to LinkIn after the process. Otherwise, it's awkward.
- We talked about cover letters, too. The consensus is that you should include, if you can - but don't spend a ton of time customizing and making perfect. Not having one could single you out, but with 100's of applications, they're not being read as much as you'd like to think.
- Discussed areas that seem to be continually hiring, one of which is Healthcare. Seattle is a hotbed for health and research companies. They tend not to be on some of the sites that are popular now, but rather with 'older' methods of looking for recruits: online newspapers, etc.